Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Day #2 activity #1 - Summer Learning Journey



In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?  

This wharepuni looks nothing like my house because my house doesn't have any Maori patterns on it and definitely isn't made out of timber, fern, rushes and bark. But we do welcome guests such as family members and friends. The Maori people living in the wharepui do welcome new guest, family and friends too! maybe thats the most common thing about my house and the wharepuni. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Viva,

    I think you are quite right! Those are two very different things, I'm sure. It is awesome to read about how you welcome family and friends into your home like the people who live in wharepuni.
    Are there any other similarities? My house isn't anything like the traditional wharepuni either, but they both have a roof! My house is made from concrete, so that is one of the differences between my house and a wharepuni.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ruby for commenting on my blogpost for the Summer Learning Journey...

    Your Sincerely
    Vivanisi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivanisi,
    What does your house look like? My house is a small wooden one story building. I like how the comparison you chose is all about letting people stay over, I like sleepovers too.

    Great job

    ReplyDelete